Colonel Getnet Adane, a military spokesperson, and Legesse Tulu, a government spokeswoman, did not immediately reply to demands for comment. Billene Seyoum, the spokesman for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, did not reply to a request for comment.
Previously, the government denied targeting civilians during the 14-month struggle with separatist Tigrayan forces.
Getachew Reda, the spokesman for the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which has been battling the central government, stated in a tweet, “Another cruel drone assault by Abiy Ahmed in an IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camp in Dedebit has taken the lives of 56 innocent civilians so far.”
The walkout happened late Friday night in the town of Dedebit, in the northwest of the area near the border with Eritrea, according to relief workers who begged not to be identified because they are not authorized to speak to the media.
Earlier on Friday, the government released many opposition leaders from prison and said that it would begin discussion with political opponents to build peace.
According to both humanitarian workers, the number of fatalities has been confirmed by local authorities. The charity workers allegedly provided Reuters photographs of the injured in hospitals, many of whom were youngsters.
According to one of the charity workers who visited Shire Suhul General Hospital, where the injured were sent for treatment, the camp is home to many elderly women and children.
“They said the devices detonated at midnight. “It was pitch dark, and they couldn’t get away,” stated the relief worker.
In November 2020, Ethiopian federal soldiers went to battle with insurgent Tigrayan forces. Since the war began, Reuters has recorded crimes committed by all sides, which the combatants have denied.
According to one of the relief workers, Asefa Gebrehaworia, 75, one of the injured in Friday’s strike, fell into tears as he told how his comrade was slain. He was in the hospital being treated for injuries to his left leg and hand.
Fighting had pushed Asefa from his house, and now the air attack had demolished the camp, where, despite his hunger, he had refuge, he informed the charity worker. He had arrived at the displaced persons camp from the border town of Humera.
According to a document created by humanitarian organisations and provided with Reuters this week, at least 146 people have been killed and 213 have been injured in air strikes in Tigray since Oct. 18.
The administration released opposition leaders from several ethnic groups in a peace attempt on Friday. They included some TPLF leaders.
The TPLF reacted negatively to Abiy’s demand for national reconciliation.
“His daily pattern of denying medication to innocent children and deploying drones attacking people contradicts his self-righteous boasts,” Getachew, the organization’s spokesperson, tweeted on Friday.
The TPLF claims federal authorities of placing an aid blockade on the region, resulting in hunger and a lack of basic necessities like as gasoline and medicines. The administration denies that assistance convoys are being obstructed.
The site administration does not adopt the viewpoint of the author or the published news, but rather it is the responsibility of the original publisher